Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Reading Review

I mentioned on New Year's Eve that I won my ridiculous reading competition.

First up, was the goal I set with myself, of reading 80 books in 2012.

Mission Accomplished. By the first week in September.

I was a bit of an overachiever. 
Then part two was the friendly competition.

I won, but not by much. I closed out 2012 with 114 books, representing 39,318 pages and she ended the year with 109 books and 38,752 pages. Her books were longer on average, as I'm 5 books ahead but only 566 pages, but still... more books, more pages, victory is mine!

Someone asked me earlier what I won and I said bragging rights, but now I'm remembering we also had a $20 gift card to the bookstore of the winner's choice (B&N for me, Amazon for her) on the line... Yay! More books for me. :-)

Anyway, I figure if I put in all that time reading last year you all should get something out of it as well. I think I'm going to do four separate posts - overall top 10 list, best nonfiction, best general fiction and best chick lit/fluff.

I'll elaborate a bit on my choices in the genre based posts, but without further ado, my 10 favorite reads of 2012:


  1. Carly's Voice by Arthur Fleischmann
  2. The Street Sweeper by Eliot Perlman
  3. A Grown Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson
  4. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
  5. Run by Ann Patchett
  6. Heft by Liz Moore
  7. Next Stop: A Memoir by Glen Finland
  8. The Good Father by Noah Hawley
  9. Where We Belong by Emily Giffin
  10. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Are any of these on your top list for the year? If no, what were the best books you read in 2012?



No comments:

Post a Comment